Thursday 24 November 2011

I just got my IPad2


I guess I'm a bit excited as I just got my IPad 2 the other day and have barely got off of it. I have been downloading apps non stop starting with the pegeeks PE Apps app. This has been excellent as I've been able to use this as a starting point which has so far given me 15 apps that I think will be useful in my classroom/PE classes.

One of the things I want to do in 2012 is have a blog for my junior PE classes (reception class x2 lessons per week and 1/2 class x 1 lesson per week) for parents to view class activities and keep up to date with what's happening in Health and PE in their child's class (a window into their child's classroom). This will be a private blog only accessible by those invited (parents/class teacher) via email as I intend to put up video and images of the kids. I still need to go through the process of talking to the class teachers, principal and parents to get their views as this is something new that we have not done before and there maybe some reservations. My intention is to use the Ipad2 to take video, edit in Imovie and upload to the blog with student and teacher audio attached explaining games/activities and concepts being covered for example fundamental motor skills. I also wanted to take still images but to my disappointment the IPad 2 camera is average to say the least and useless for moving objects. I will still try it and 'stage' shots so students are not moving and then use the ShowMe app to create audio screencast (again student generated with some from me) to go over the image. The Ipad2 camera will be fine to take images of students in the classroom and images of their health work. From taking video/still images to editing to sharing on a blog using one device is awesome. If the photo images become a problem in PE classes I will just have to get a better camera. I also intend to use Screenr or Screen O Matic to create screencasts of student work when I want multiple images displayed or something that requires more advanced software than the ShowMe app.
This is just one use for my Ipad2 - simplifying a process that would have required separate camera, video camera, mp3 voice recorder, editing software etc. Hopefully it lives up to my expectations.

I can see many more uses for my IPad2 in my classroom and look forward to trying them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment